Grassroots Researchers Association (GRA) is a nonprofit and non-political rights-based organization registered in 2016 with the Corporate Affairs Commission of Nigeria as a local content hub aimed at facilitating evidence- based grassroots initiatives and actions that promote development, justice and victims support in the communities. Our mission is to be an active grassroots mobilizer towards improving the total quality of human life and social justice in Nigeria. Our programmes are spread across Climate Change, Conflict, Security and Justice, Social Economic Development and Governance. For more information, visit: www.grassrootresearchers.org.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Assistant (FA) – Volunteer
Reference No.: GRA – FA/MAG/03/22/004 (Borno), GRA – FA/DMR/03/22/005 (Yobe), GRA – FA/YLA/03/22/006 (Adamawa)
Locations: Maiduguri – Borno, Yola – Adamawa and Damaturu – Yobe
Employment Type: Volunteer
Vacancy Slots: 3 Slots
- The Finance Assistant will be responsible for managing the operations of cash processing and record-keeping of the day-to-day transactions in accordance with GRA policy and procedures.
- He/She will be required to ensure compliance of GRA and Donor policies and procedure, process petty cash transactions as per GRA policy and schedule.
- Ensure authenticity of signatures, correctness and completeness of documents, cross-check attendance sheets, verify payments, prepare all payments, assist finance officer in monthly bank & account reconciliation, ensure paid stamping on all invoices and related documents, preparation of tax & deposits, collection & submission of financial documents in the bank, maintain compliance of local laws and standard accounting practice, review budget, review funding allocations, provide training to program staff on finance, produce monthly and quarterly reports, post vouchers, coordinate teams for advance issuance and timely adjustment of advances, training documentation and any other task assigned by the line manager.
Dimension of the Role
- The Finance Assistant is to assist the Finance officer by managing the day-to-day operations of the Finance Department, responsible for Cash processing and record-keeping of the day-to-day transactions in accordance with GRA policy and procedures.
- To assist the Senior Finance Officer in ensuring that timely and accurate payments are made.
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of payment documents in compliance with GRA and Donor policies and procedure
- Coordinate with teams for advance issuance and their timely adjustment of advances & Training documentation.
- Ensure completeness of supporting documents in all respect which includes authenticity of signatures, cross-checking attendance sheets, and verifying payments to be made
- Posting all vouchers into the transaction spreadsheet on daily basis for review by the Finance Officer. Ensure that all information in the spreadsheet is correct and complete.
- Processing of petty cash transactions on daily basis. Ensure petty cash is replenished on time to meet daily cash needs. Carry out cash count as per the GRA policy and schedule. Document the cash count sheets for records.
- Prepare all payments and make sure that they are properly coded and supported with relevant necessary documents.
- Assist Finance office in monthly bank & account reconciliation.
- Ensure all the financial documents are properly filed & tagged.
- Paid stamping of all the invoices and related documents before filing.
- Ensure timely preparation of tax & deposit into the bank.
- Visit Bank for necessary collection & submission of financial documents.
- Photocopies & scanning of all necessary documents/Instruments.
- Perform any other task assigned by the line manager.
- Act always in accordance with local law and standards of accounting practice.
- Review budget with the aim of gaining a clear understanding of budget guidelines and instructions
- Review funding allocations to enable proper guidance to programs and proper coding.
- Provide training to program staff on finance issues.
- Produce monthly and quarterly reports to be reviewed by your supervisor.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- HND or a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from a recognized College / Institutions
- 1 – 2 years work experience.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Able to work in high-pressure situations, solve problems and resolve conflicts.
- Able to independently organize work, prioritize tasks and manage time.
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to coach and support others.
- Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual.
- Computer literate with significant knowledge/experience in excel.
- Fluency in local context language is highly desirable.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, fluent in written and spoken English.
- Job Application Details How to Apply Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply online